The quilt is basted! I finished the solar system side by embroidering the small planets (Earth and everything closer) and appliqueing the larger planets. I glued them in place and then hand stitched them down.
The larger planets:
Instead of a label, I embroidered the year and my name into the sun.
I also added some more fabric to the top so that the back side would not be cut off.
Now it's just a matter of quilting, binding, and mailing it!
I'm thinking of quilting orbital rings for each of the planets, filling in rings between them as needed, and following the wavy lines in the sun. I'm not sure that I'm going to like what that does to the back, but I need to be able to avoid the prairie points and I don't know that I'll like what following the back does to the front. I really need to learn to free motion quilt.