This week's topic: The apocalypse is upon us! What do you stock up on?
I always tell people that when the zombie apocalypse hits, my inability to slaughter an animal means I'll be going vegetarian. Which may also be a problem given that my understanding of gardening is pretty much "shove seeds in ground, water". And I won't have google to advise me.
So my survival plans comes down less to stuff than people. I have friends who can hunt (and butcher). Friends who can grow things and heal things. Friends who can make things and fix things. I figure if we band together, we'll have a fighting chance, but we'll need a few things.
- Lots of stockpiled food to carry us through while we set up our own resources
- Hand powered tools, rope, nails, and screws for making shelter and traps
- Iodine tablets to purify water
- Backpacks, space blankets to allow for moving and sleeping outside
- Knives, sharpening tools, guns (with ammo) to hunt and (if necessary) for protection
- Notebooks, writing utensils to keep records of things like growing seasons
- Needle, thread, fabric to make/mend clothes, tents, etc
- A reliable set of pots and pans, a bowl, cup, and spork for each person, a dutch oven
- Mason jars and large stock pots to allow canning
- Seeds and fertilizer to grow food
- A large cart or wagon to store supplies/serve as a shelter
- A cow/ox/horse to pull the cart
- Books on any of the above subjects
Of course, it would probably also be best to get into shape and learn a few things first. So here's hoping the apocalypse is a long way off yet.