I'm still plugging away on my Wonky Rainbow Squares quilt. Looking at my previous posts, my last update we while I was still working on the blocks. I finished all of the rainbow blocks at the end of April (hooray!) and set about trying to figure out how to arrange them.
It was around this time, that I also purchased a few cards (May is a busy month for cards in the Dragon house) and I was especially taken with this one:
I decided that I wanted to create a similar layout--a cohesive border around the blocks, linked together, on a solid background. I had initially wanted to use grays or browns for the border and background, but I didn't have much of either color in my stash.
Going back to when I very first started this quilt, I'd had a few goals:
- Use fabrics I already had
- Practice my 1/4" seams
- Practice sewing without pinning
- Make something for me
Staying true to those (and being budget friendly) meant working with what I had, so I took another look, this time looking to see what I had the most of. I discovered two fabrics--the black I used for sashing in the turtle quilt and a navy blue with "stars" that I used as the binding for Blue Clear Sky. In both cases, I had wanted long uninterrupted strips, so I had bought a fair bit of yardage, figuring they were fabrics I would use elsewhere.
So far, the plan is to use the black to border and connect the blocks and the night sky as the background. I'm not sure that I will have enough of the night sky, depending on how spread out I want the blocks. I'm also not sure that these won't end up being more than one quilt. Right now, I'm working on getting the blocks bordered, then I will lay it out and make some decisions on size, spacing, etc. Last weekend, I ironed the fabric, cut strips of various sizes, and got one side of all the blocks (all 40) bordered. This weekend, I got another side attached. I'm hoping to have more progress on this project before starting my summer of handstitching. Which means I'd better get in some evening sewing this week!