Last weekend, I made good on my promise to continue my forward momentum on this quilt. I finished 7 of the 8 purple centered blocks. The 8th (seen in the upper right corner) was cut short by the simple fact that I ran out of one of the fabrics I was using.
I knew this was rather inevitable. When you start with whatever you have on hand, cut to an arbitrary size, square up wonkily on purpose, and never do more that guestimate that most of the piles are somewhat the same size...it's going to be close. I've already had a couple of near misses, but this was the first one I flat out ran out of.
I've considered either subbing in a fabric I've already used (so it would be used twice), subbing in an entirely new fabric, or just leaving those orphan blocks at whatever size they end up and using them to breakup the layout. I figure I'll wait to see how many victims I have before making a decision.
On the other hand, I did get started on my 8th yellow centered block, which wasn't made up with the others because my 8th yellow was found after the other 7 fabrics were selected and their blocks completed.
So at least my quilting karma is even. This weekend I hope to start my red center blocks. I don't know that I will get them totally wrapped up (each "layer" takes 1-2 hours to complete), but forward progress is forward progress! : )